Student Shoutout: Dawn


 Student Shoutout: Dawn

By Kerry De Vivo

"With just a few sessions I could feel my core strengthening, my spine elongating, and my posture both standing and sitting improved." 
-Dawn


Earlier this year, Dawn began practicing Pilates at EPA. When asked what inspired her to start Pilates sessions, Dawn's response was " After a debilitating back injury, my doctor suggested I give Pilates a try as a way of recovery.  I should say, not just any Pilates, he specifically suggested Excel since they teach classic Pilates.” Dawn's initial goal was to “learn core strengthening techniques”. Well, Dawn has definitely achieved that goal!


I asked Dawn how her Pilates practice has affected her life. Her response was, "With just a few sessions I could feel my core strengthening, my spine elongating, and my posture both standing and sitting improved.  I had much better body awareness. I attend two in-person classes a week and absolutely love the online classes* they offer for the other days.”  I believe Dawn realized Pilates is not just exercise but rather a way of life. What is super cool about Dawn’s Pilates journey is how her commitment to regular self-practice has helped her to maximize her in-studio sessions. As a result, Dawn has not only accomplished relief from back pain, but she’s progressed to some really advanced exercises. And when she does these exercises, you can see that she’s excited by her accomplishments, AS SHE SHOULD BE. And we are so proud of her dedication. As a teacher, it is one more layer of conviction of the genius behind Joe Pilates’ work; to see someone who started Pilates just months ago, who needed to modify exercises to avoid pain, now move with control, freedom and confidence. This is why we at EPA love sharing Pilates with all of our clients, it’s magic. 



 
When asked what one of her favorite Pilates exercises is, Dawn’s response was "SAW because it hits all of my tight spots and really loosens me up! Teaser because it challenges the heck out of me and my goal is to master it one day : )”. Well we think her Teaser is looking amazing, as demonstrated in the photo above of Dawn doing Teaser with the Push Through Bar.
 
Thank you Dawn for being our Student Shoutout this month. -Kerry
 
*As an EPA Mobile Member, Dawn is a big fan of using the Gumroad app to access the
EPA Mobile Library to enhance her self practice.




Comments