DYNAMIC DUOS

At Excel Pilates Annapolis (EPA), one of the session formats we offer is a duet session. Sometimes duet partners are level matched by the studio and sometimes they are people who knew each other and started sessions together. It is so fun to watch those who had no prior relationship before Pilates get to know each other and very often befriend one another via their sessions. As for those who know each other coming in, that includes friends, co-workers, spouses, and family members. In the spirit of celebrating Mother’s Day this month, I am featuring one of our duet sessions, a mother daughter duo.



Meet Kitty and Alden Stoner. They have been sharing Pilates sessions at EPA since August 2018. I asked what prompted them to start doing duet sessions together. Alden said, “It’s been sacred time with my mother to work on our whole bodies and specifically for me to work on my physical health in returning my body to a 'new normal' after childbirth.”

When I teach Kitty & Alden, I love how they both encourage each other. Pointing out progression or a “wow, that looks really good!” You might think they could get distracted in their sessions with such history together. Rather, they both use their session truly as a sacred time to be together, work on their health goals, and concentrate of their Pilates workout.



Their Pilates connection in sessions goes beyond the studio. I asked, "Do you practice the exercises or concepts together outside of the studio?" Kitty responded, “We use our circles outside of class.” Kitty and Alden use their magic circles that Alden purchased as a Christmas gift for both of them to practice their Pilates magic circle mat at home.

Thank you, Kitty & Alden for sharing your story.
-Kerry

Comments