Your List of "Things to Do"

by Lesa McLaughlin
Owner, Excel Pilates DC

"So much to accomplish in 24 hours." 

"There is never enough time in the day." 

"I do not have enough time to exercise." 

"I wish I could fit a workout into my schedule."


Yes, daily life is truly a balancing act. If you are like me, we start off the day with a long, ambitious list of things to do. It feels like there is plenty of time to get through the list but then one more thing is thrown into the mix, or there's a change of plans. Traffic, sick kids, cancelled train... The extra stuff I always refer to as speed bumps. If you get side tracked or slowed down, time flies away but the list does not get shorter. On days like this a good friend of mine always say
"Calgon, take me away" 

(knowing this phrase dates me, I'm sure). By the time we are at the end of the day, we look to de-stress. Exercise is a great way to do that but too many things get in the way. Often at the end of it all, you're just plain exhausted.
  
Exercise may start high on the priority list but it often is pushed to bottom or just removed from the list. But TBH, (as my son would say), exercise needs to not only stay on the list; it should remain at the top. When I think of or discuss the importance of exercise, I refer to my high school biology class and 

"The Seven Signs of Life" - The seven signs of life are moving, respiration, sensitivity, growth, reproduction, excretion and nutrition. All of these activities are present in living organisms

Note the first sign on the list. To maintain our living bodies, it is essential that we keep moving. Staying strong (to the best of our abilities) helps in every aspect of our daily lives.

Exercise improves the quality of our lives in every way and is a necessity, not a luxury. When making your list of things to do, try putting exercise at the very top. If you can make it the first thing you do in the morning, even better. That way, it's done and nothing else gets in the way. If it's later in the day, that works too. Try to exercise at a time of day that feels best for your body. Wherever exercise falls on your list, make it a top priority. Most of all keep your workout on your list; not only do you need it, you deserve it and you will feel better for it!


Comments