THE GIFT OF TEACHING PILATES

The Gift of Teaching Pilates
by Kerry De Vivo
Pilates Empowerment
September 2015 Scoop


Twenty nine years ago, through my dance training, I stumbled across Pilates.  I consider it one of the best accidental discoveries of my life.  And this year, December 5th to be exact, I celebrate my 20 year anniversary of teaching Pilates as a certified, second generation (trained in the direct lineage of Joseph Pilates) teacher.  My accidental discovery has awarded me with more than a workout, it has given me a career. Furthermore, through colleagues, training apprentices, and dedicated clients, I have shared Pilates with countless individuals all who have made the past 20 years something to pause and reflect on.

20 (it's a pretty big number....)

Of coarse, to me, it's not surprising that I would be teaching, sharing the life's work of Joseph Pilates, for 20 years.  After all it's genius work.  But, I still find inspiration from the many clients who have been a part of that 20 year journey so far, most who I have worked with for many, many years.  To share what my generous teachers have shared with me with follow teachers, apprentices and clients has been a remarkable journey.  My students continue to be my best teachers in many ways and I'm grateful for their dedication to Pilates and to my studio.  I really believe what we do makes a difference for all of us.  Pilates is all about finding our individual potential, physically and mentally.

So to all of you who have allowed me through your generous and trusting selves, the opportunity to share the life's work of Joseph Pilates with you, my studio home with you, and our lives with each other for 20 years, thank you, thank you, thank you.  It is truly an honor.  It is a gift.


I will be reflecting on my 20 years of teaching in additional blog posts and our the studio Facebook page this month.  I hope you will read along.  Lesa McLaughlin, owner of Excel Pilates DC, will join me in posting stories, reflections, teachings about her years of teaching Pilates as she celebrated her 20 year anniversary of teaching in July this year.  
Be sure to look at our Facebook pages through the month of September. 

Comments